Lyons Sustainable Future Commission (SFC) - a town appointed volunteer committee
The SFC has been charged with fulfilling the sustainability objectives stated in the Comprehensive Plan and evaluates and recommends projects, programs, and policies that will continue to sustain and improve the environmental and human health of our community. The SFC has created 10 working groups to focus on these objectives:
1. Localization – Food, economy and permaculture
2. Energy – Efficiency and renewables
3. Green Building – Health and efficiency
4. Solid Waste Reduction – Increase Recycling, composting, and other waste diversion
5. Noise and Light Pollution - Keeping Lyons tranquil
6. Transportation – Increase local and regional public and private low impact options
7. Water – Conservation and Quality
8. Air Quality
9. Wildlife Habitat – Protecting and preserving
10. Outreach – Education and Communication
The SFC has multiple projects and programs that we are currently working on:
- Free Eco Passes are now available for the Community of Lyons!
- Shop Local Campaign
- New Recycling Bins coming to downtown and Parks
- Assisting the Spring Clean-up – now offering Recycling of Hard to Recycle items
- Update of Building Codes
- Implementing Net Metering for Solar for the Town of Lyons Utility Customers
- Upgrading street lighting with more efficient lights in town
- Promoting EnergySmart in partnership with Boulder County for our residents and businesses to help save money and energy costs
- Ongoing education in Permaculture, gardening, energy efficiency and much more. Come to one of the SFC monthly classes, or find out about the many educational opportunities in our community to learn about creating a more sustainable future.
Join Us! We are looking for more committee members in all areas for varying amounts of participation. We meet the 2nd Thursday of the month at Lyons Valley Village on 2nd Ave at 7:00 PM.
Questions? Contact the Chair: Diane Dandeneau, at 303-823-0394 or at